Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Stitch it up 1

I was at the Goodwill store today looking for patterns for a different project (I was looking for printed images or fabrics for creating lightning bolts or electrical patterns) and while browsing I came across the random bags of stuffed animals and I got an idea. I decided to purchase a bag of said animals, a bag of interesting thread (appears to be homespun wool thread), and my idea was to disassemble and reassemble stuffed animals in interesting combinations. I should get to other creations with time but I first started with a bright green monkey and a purple and orange elephant. I recombined the heads of these stuffed animals and then decided to attach the newly formed head to an old "Russell Stover," chocolates-associated kangaroo. "Roo" was removed. Head was removed. Recombined head one was attached in  place of head of kangaroo head. Other head was attached to the pouch. One bright green monkey arm was included in place of an elephant ear on the pouch-associated head. The wool yarn used initially proved too difficult for my upholstery needle (which broke) and I ended up using a heavy duty upholstery thread for the rest of the project. Additionally, I included a sound and LED light unit from a Carter's baby toy in the head of the primarily-monkey head: squeeze the head, it plays a lullaby and two parts of the head now light up red with the music. I'll try to post more pictures of additional creations as they are made.

Complete view of finished product. Total height is about 6". I could call it "Elepharoonkey," ....

Right profile view of finished product.

Close-up of 'revised' head of stuffed animal.

No comments:

Post a Comment