Thursday, August 11, 2011

On Burlap 3, Part 1

I'm working on gessoed burlap for my third and fourth projects of this type. My fourth project will have dimensions like the first two (approximately 2' x 4'). Project three is larger and has dimensions of ~4' x ~6'. In the pictures I show the stretched burlap on the pieces of plywood. For this project I changed the process slightly by including a layer of plastic cling wrap underneath the pieces of burlap. This should prevent adhesion of the gesso to the plywood. While adhesion of the gesso to the plywood does create a desirable stippling effect in the final products (some gesso remains on the plywood after removal of the burlap, thus creating small holes in the painting which are effective as texture), my last project tore in one place. I was able to patch the whole with a black gessoes piece of burlap. I patched the hole with black acrylic paint and pressed the patch (patched from the back) and the painting between two acrylic panels and a lot of books. I left it for two days before uncovering it and letting it finish the drying process. It came out looking great.

Stretched canvas on plywood with plastic clingwrap. Plywood: 4'x8'. Burlap: ~4'x~6'.

No comments:

Post a Comment