Monday, November 28, 2011

Small Work 2 + Tessellations

I continue to work on a couple small paintings. It's my palate cleanser and provides something to work on when I want more immediate results than my larger pieces (which are slowly coming along). I've used Contact paper to cover the acrylic and ink image, drawn on the plastic, removed it and cut it to provide custom pieces used for masking. It's allowed very clean lines and I've even masked some areas and stamped over the borders, allowing the creation depth in the picture. I've left the mask on the picture in the lower left corner of the painting. Once removed, the line of the central blue oval will be crisp.

Small painting. Blue Dot (working title). 24"x18". Mixed media.

I have recently been reading Designing Tessellations by Jinny Beyer. I've begun to design my own tiles and to print using some of the principles in the book. So far I'm liking the results.

A tile for tessellation. ~3.5" on a side.

Hexagonal tessellation pattern (eye-registered quick print).

I used the above tile for a background piece of a small (18"x24") watercolor. It's in early development. The tile is intended to create a string of crooked teeth, which will be replicated in the focal point of the painting. In this painting, too, I've used Contact paper for masking purposes.

Small watercolor/Rock Teeth (working title). Mixed media. 18"x24". Coldpress watercolor paper.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoy the contrasting elements in the Blue Dot-- it is on one hand, fanciful and on the other hand something darker is occuring. The wheel stencil and black streak seem forboding like winter, but there in the center is that blue dot looking so damn cheerful.

    ReplyDelete