Monday, February 6, 2012

Mixed Media

Having spent time tediously, but rewardingly, working on my Lincoln and other projects, I decided to take some time to work out a non-stencil-based painting. The result is what follows.

into. 34" x 34". Mixed media.

The mixed media include spray, acrylic and household acrylic latex paints. Going into this painting I've been listening to The Antlers albums Burst Apart and Hospice. When I connect deeply with something I try to take notice. I sometimes wonder if it's my obsessive side showing and that time will render my current crushing interest passe, or is there something about hearing or seeing something right now, where I'm at that's important. It might not stay with me forever, but right now it connects. Either way, the honesty and vulnerability (in a good way) of the lyrics are refreshing and powerfully communicate loss, frustration, fear, and knowing yourself but making certain choices anyway. I think I'm at a point where I no longer see these things as good or bad but as experience. As I gain experience I feel richer, more grounded, more alive, more sad, more awake, more excited to be happy, to be hurt, to be flexible, to be mature, to have fun, to set high expectations, to fail in trying, to succeed exceptionally, to build a body of experience new, deep, and diverse.

1 comment:

  1. I'm a huge fan of The Antlers. I Don't Want Love is one of the best songs from last year. If you wanna find more good music, check out my blog!

    ReplyDelete