Sunday, February 26, 2012

Self-portrait

For awhile I've been interested in multi-color prints created from multiple screens or stencils to create a printed image with greater depth. Thanks again to Ed Roth's book Stencil 101 not for the stencils or stencil ideas in the book but for the materials lists including mylar and a stencil burner/cutter. I took the idea of mylar stencils to create my own multi-color prints. I chose a self-portrait based on a photograph. I played with the contrast, brightness, etc., of my photograph to create an image with four distinct values (translated as black, red, yellow and white). I used these color 'contours' to create my stencils in mylar. They were successively used to print images onto the black background. Opacity of the paint was critical in this process.

Self-portrait in four colors 1.  25cm x 19xm (image size). Acrylic on cold-press watercolor paper.
(Exposure digitally adjusted.)

Self-portrait in four colors 2.  25cm x 19xm (image size). Acrylic on cold-press watercolor paper.
(Exposure digitally adjusted.)

No comments:

Post a Comment